Mission Statement
January 17, 2006

Posted by BDM Historian.

I've been toying with the idea of adding a kind of blog or "notepad" to the League of German Girls Historical Research website for some time. The main reason for this is not so I can add commentary or updates on my work, but rather, to share information and items that I don't have sections for on the website, or that are random but still related to the Third Reich subject matter.

For example, I've been wanting to rant for some time about the fact that a large majority of the BDM items offered on eBay are actually items of the male Hitler Youth, civilian items of the time period, or photos and items of the female Labor Service. I figured if I add such things to my blog where people can read about them, then folks trying to find out what is and isn't BDM when they start collecting or when they have something to sell, might be off to a better start.

Also, I've been wanting to translate some of the articles from "The German Girl" magazine, but really had no place to put them on my website. It's easy to forget for those of us who speak German that not everyone does, and that researchers who see the many digitized materials on my site may not be able to benefit from them in the way that I and my German-speaking colleagues do. So that is another thing I will be using this notepad for.

And lastly, it serves as a place for general commentary and updates as well. I may even post a funny picture or two - I don't know how many times I've come across a BDM photo that just screamed to be enhanced with a funny caption; or post other period-related tid-bits such as recipes or images.

The blog will also give you - my readers - a chance to comment! While I do allow anonymous comments for those of you who do not have an account with Blogger, I would prefer if you used the "other" setting in comments and left your name and, if applicable, website link. I think that if you have something to say, you should take some responsibility for it.