Overdyed Kletterjacke
May 16, 2008

Posted by BDM Historian

I know I haven't written in my notebook in some time. On one hand, this was due to the fact that I've been busy with things outside of this website, and on the other hand, I've just not had a whole lot to write about. Hopefully I'll be able to add entries more frequently in the future.

Today, I have an interesting piece to show you that was sent to me by one of our readers in Europe. He purchased a jacket at auction that "looks like a BDM Kletterweste" but is dark blue, and wanted me to take a look at it. I think the pictures will be very interesting to readers and collectors, and he's graciously agreed to let me show them in my notebook.


When I first saw the photos he sent me, I noticed two things right away: first, that it was absolutely the cut and style of a BDM Kletterweste; and second, that it has replacement buttons which appeared to be an odd color - like they had been dyed blue. I asked him whether he could do a closer inspection of the jacket to see whether it was possible that it had been dyed, maybe for civilian use after the war, and the detail photos he's sent me definitely support that guess.

Clicking any of the photos will get you the full version.

Inside lining with pocket.

Replacement buttons.

When the seams are pulled apart, the original tan color can be seen.



0 comments